Personal Capital is the pioneer and market leader in digital wealth management, disrupting the traditional $30 trillion U.S. wealth management market. The company is a hybrid of technology driven advice complemented with human advisors, delivered virtually and directly to the consumer. Our free personal finance app is utilized by over a million users helping them track over $500 billion of their personal finances, all in one place. Our award-winning apps paved the way for our advisory firm, which now manages over $8 billion in personalized investment portfolios for families in the U.S.
Personal Capital has raised over $200 million in capital from accomplished financial and strategic investors (IVP, Venrock, Crosslink, Corsair, Blackrock, BBVA, USAA, IGM/Power) to execute on its vision.
The Manager of SEC Reporting and Technical Accounting is responsible for providing technical expertise and support for the SEC filing and compliance related reporting and technical accounting functions for a pre-IPO company. This individual will frequently interact with accounting staff, legal, and other stakeholders across the organization. This hands-on role requires critical thinking skills, strong attention to detail, and excellent written communication skills. This position offers the successful applicant the opportunity to leverage a strong background in technical accounting and SEC reporting with the intensity and dynamics of a rapidly growing financial technology company.
• Evaluate the accounting treatment for all significant accounting transactions, research and implement relevant accounting standards, and draft technical accounting memorandums on significant and complex transactions to support accounting positions.
• Review contracts to identify technical accounting matters and ensure compliance with corporate and accounting policies.
• Lead the preparation of all SEC financial filings (Form 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K), including the review and preparation of all related consolidated financial statements, footnotes, disclosures and MD&A. Coordinate with third-party entities and firms in completing certain tasks such as technical accounting matters, fair value re-measurements, external reporting, and compliance.
• Review or prepare schedules, journal entries, and reconciliations as it relates to revenue, equity, and other technical accounting responsibilities.
• Prepare data and other supporting information requests as needed for audits and reviews conducted by internal and external auditors.
• Ensure SOX compliance by maintaining effective internal controls over the financial reporting process
• Maintain, update, and evaluate new accounting policies and procedures in line with new pronouncements, as needed.
• Implement and maintain SEC reporting tool.
• Review and prepare benchmarking analyses.
• Take an active role within the Accounting organization to drive goal achievement, while evaluating and recommending process improvements.
• Assist with other special projects or activities, as needed.
• 5+ years of relevant experience required. Big 4 public accounting firm experience preferred, but not required.
• Advanced working knowledge of U.S. GAAP and SEC reporting requirements and research.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting (or equivalent) required.
• Active CPA license.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, advanced Excel skills.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
• Exposure to revenue (ASC 606) and warrant accounting.
• Fin-tech and B2B partnership experience.
• Ability to implement changes in a rapidly scaling/growing environment.
• Sarbanes-Oxley 404 public accounting or industry experience.
• Excellent professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
• Strong project management skills with the ability to anticipate events, prioritize assignments, deal with interruptions, and meet deadlines in a fast paced and growth oriented environment.
Location: Redwood Shores, CA